Play Cafe’s New Full-Length Play Development Opportunity
Play Cafe is pleased to offer a fresh opportunity for new play development to members: Play Cafe Table Reads. Table Reads are just that–cold, unrehearsed table readings for new plays in progress. Plays may range in length from thirty minutes to ninety minutes with four actors and a professional dramaturg supplied by Play Cafe. The reading is followed by a discussion/feedback period facilitated by the dramaturg. Musicals are not accepted for this program at this time.
Admission is free, and the room capacity is about 20. The readings are invite-only and not otherwise publicized. Selected playwrights are responsible for providing scripts for all actors, the dramaturg, and the stage directions reader, and are encouraged to provide snacks and beverages for the cast and dramaturg. If the member playwright needs more than four actors–such as adding someone to read stage directions–they must provide and pay them out of pocket. Play Cafe pays each actor $30. Actors interested in being part of our talent pool, please send an email to email@example.com. Since participating actors may be in Equity, readings may not be recorded on audio or video.
The next Table Read is Thursday May 4 from 7PM-10PM at Language Studies International in Berkeley, and the dramaturg is Laylah Muran de Assereto from Spare Stage. The third Table Read is Thursday June 1 from 7PM-10PM at Language Studies International in Berkeley, and the dramaturg is TBD.
Only Play Cafe members in good standing and Play Cafe Board Members may submit. To become a member visit our membership page. To verify membership, write to firstname.lastname@example.org.
DEADLINE for May 4 Table Read is 11:59PM, Sunday, April 16, 2017.
Plays must be emailed to email@example.com.
Format requirements are as follows:
- No more than 90 pages’ worth of material, and preference given to full-length plays
- Include a cover page with the title of the play, author’s name, email address, snail-mail address and and phone number
- Please do not put your name on any page other than the cover page
- Script file must be attached to your email as a PDF
- Play title and page numbers must be included on every page
- Plays may have had one staged/developmental reading and revised but may not have been fully produced or published
Selected playwright will be notified no later than Sunday April 23. Send any input on actor selection (only if selected!) to firstname.lastname@example.org.